Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Success!

I thought I had blogged about it, but I guess I didn't. A year ago, in Mar/April '08, Aidan started a new swim class at the Y. Since he had just turned 6, he was no longer in the preschool class, and was now a youth. Youth=swim class in The Big Pool. I didn't think anything of it. He knew how to swim across the width of the little pool. But woah nellie...one would have thought we were trying to throw him in hot molten lava and telling him he could never come home again. He cried all class. We tried it again the following week. More tears. So they allowed him back into a preschool class. When that session wrapped up in early June, I stopped enrolling the kids in swim lessons all together. I needed a break. Between that and N&E not listening to their instructor and refusing to get out of the pool at the end of class.... yeah.

Fast forward to today. First lesson of this session. I figured that the Mar-June session was as best a time as any to stick them back in, seeing as how summer is coming up. I hope.

I could tell that Aidan had a few reservations, but was nothing like last year. He was stoked that one of his JK friends, Dane, and he were in the same class. I kept my eye on him and he was aok throughout the whole class in The Big Pool. At the end of the 45 min class, I saw the instructor walk them down to The Deep and explain what they were to do. I could see Aidan telling him that no, he was not going to do that. However, once Aidan saw his classmates and Dane do it, he crawled up on the platform, shaky as all getup, and low and behold, HE JUMPED! In the 10 ft deep water!!!!! I was so stinkin' proud of the kid. He overcame his fear. We celebrated his success tonight. Big boy, he is.

No comments: