Thursday, March 11, 2010

sewing help :)

I got me a sewing machine!!! In all actuality, I've owned a sewing machine for roughly 11-12 years now. I last used it in 1999 when I tried to hem some curtains that I made and failed miserably...something to do w/ the damn bobbin. I called my gramma and cried and tried to get her to help me over the phone and finally, I just packed up the machine, put the curtains in a bag, and gave them to her to hem. The machine has not come out of the box (portable machine) since then. Its moved 2 houses w/ a box of accessories I've never opened, too. I inherited the machine from my other grandma, who used to make all of my clothes for me when I was a little girl.

Yesterday, my grandma gave me her machine that she got roughly 7 or so years ago and has used but once to hem a garment. I am afraid to use it. I am a smart girl - I should just open the book and try the darn thing out on a piece of material. But today I am going to pick up the phone and call some stores and see if there's a beginning class I can take.

However...if anyone can give me tips....books or... I don't know? Whatever! I'd appreciate it. All I want to be able to do is simple hemming and making simple patterns for my girl.


3 comments:

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

I am not a sewer. I aspire to be a sewer, but I'm not there yet. My biggest piece of advice is to read the manual and learn to thread the bobbin correctly. Then just pick something to sew and just do it! One of the things I sewed last summer was a skirt for Katie--it was SO easy and just straight lines. I'm sure you can find it on my blog--it's the red/white polka dot one. I think it was an oliver + s pattern.

~ Sarah

heather said...

My greatest crafting fear is the sewing machine...so much so that I have handsewn huge project just to avoid the dreaded machine! I so wish I knew how though!!! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Sewing is one of those things that, once you get the hang of it, it's pretty simple. Of course, there are complicated patterns out there.. but for the most part, it's easy.
My best tip would be to learn to use the buttonhole attachment (assuming that your machine has one) and learn to make a french seem. If you can sew a french seem, it'll make your projects look super neat and you won't have to iron edges a gazillion times. You can download (for a few $'s) some pretty cute and simple patterns on Etsy!
Good luck!